{The title has changed, but the website has not!}

Blogging FREE printables, parties, and decorating diy one nap at a time...

Dunham Design Company

Monday, November 14, 2011

Surfboard Clock Makeover

I bought this surfboard clock at a garage sale recently and it goes with my son's surfer boy bedroom theme! The only problem was I did not like the look of it.  So what's a mom to do?

I decided to recover it using an old map of the coast of Brazil which also depicts part of my son's family heritage.  Step 1) I put the clock on top of the map and traced its shape.

Step 2) Spread regular Elmer's glue on the clock and glue the map on to it.  I slit a hole in the map so the clock hands could slide through the middle of the map.  Quickly smooth the map out as much as you can on the clock.  Trim the edges and glue map over on the sides.  I cut a tiny piece of the map out near the clock hands to hide a small hole.  Let dry.

Close-up view of clock.

Another close-up view.  As you can see, I did not get it perfectly smooth, but I actually like it that way because it looks  like a raised topological map.  If you wanted, you can use a credit card wrapped in fabric to smooth it out perfectly. 
Here is the new & improved surfboard clock! I love it!